Letterbox Farm is not currently hiring.
if you are interested in joining our team for the 2020 season, we encourage you to visit us this summer - just send us a quick introduction via email.
the positions listed below are samples and subject to change.
CREW MEMBER - GARDEN TEAM
Our 2.5 acre market garden is managed and maintained as a three- to four-person team. These crew members will spend 80% of their week of their week working independently and/or as a crew on producing and harvesting vegetables, greens, herbs, and flowers. The other 20% may include attending farmers markets, CSA distribution, grounds maintenance tasks or other projects.
The season begins with intensive training and working closely with the vegetable manager. Crew members are expected to gain responsibility and autonomy as the season progresses. By mid-season, crew members will be assigned leadership in various production tasks (i.e. greens seeding and transplanting; BCS tractor work) based on talent and interest. By the end of the season, each member of the crew should feel confident to lead most vegetable production tasks independently.
Garden team crew members will:
Participate in 3 main harvest days per week (15-20 hours)
Perform all tasks related to vegetable production: Operating BCS walk-behind tractor, transplanting by hand or with paper pot transplanter, direct seeding in the field, hand cultivation, irrigating, greenhouse seeding and watering, logging production records, crop care and pest prevention practices (20-25 hours)
Assume responsibility for one or more production-related tasks
Staff one of our weekend farmers markets or CSA distribution
Assist in pack-out for wholesale, CSA and markets
One garden team positions run from April 1-Thanksgiving. One additional position runs May-September.
DESIRED SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
Strong work ethic and an eye for both quality and efficiency
Strong teamwork and communication skills; patience, flexibility, and emotional maturity.
Applicants should have a strong understanding of the physical requirements of working on a farm and being outside in all kinds of weather.
The ability to lift 50 lbs, repeatedly
A valid US drivers license and a clean driving record
COMPENSATION & EXPECTATIONS
Position is paid hourly plus a full-diet CSA share (meat, eggs, vegetables, a $1000+ value). Work weeks range from 36 to 46 hours per week, variably over the season. Each crew member will have two consecutive days off including one weekend day. Housing is not included; having personal transportation is necessary. However, we are within two miles of downtown Hudson, with good local housing options available. Employees will receive 2 days of paid sick leave/vacation time during the season.
Please send an introduction, a resume, and two farm-related references to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are accepting applications on a rolling basis.